“As soon as next month, gun sellers with a federal firearms license in Texas could be required to furnish letters to ATF chronicling the sale of two or more semi-automatic rifles to one person within a five-day period. The policy covers guns with a caliber greater than .22 and a detachable magazine clip, including the AR-15 and AK-47s, which ATF says are increasingly being used in border crimes.Gun rights advocates, including Gov. Rick Perry, say the policy is misguided and would unfairly target legitimate businessmen — the gun sellers — under the guise of securing the border.”
I think Mr. Perri is missing the point. It is not about being fair to Texas gun sellers. It is about using the violence in Mexico as an excuse to encroach on the 2nd amendment. The violence in Mexico is not to be solved by taking away freedoms from U.S citizens. If the Mexican government has a problem with guns being smuggled into Mexico – it is more than welcome to put its forces along the border and seal it, from the Mexican side. And to both directions please.
Other questions that come to mind: If the ATF has the power to impose such requirements, where does it end? And how far will it expand after people get used to abide by such a requirement?
The the Article in the “Texas Tribune” can be found at: http://www.texastribune.org/texas-dept-criminal-justice/guns-texas/atf-aims-for-increase-requirements-for-gun-sellers/
- Excise Tax On Gun Owners?
- Obama’s Health Care – End of Life Rationing Is Here.
- Government Health Care System 1
- Global Warming…
- Armed Society Is Polite Society
- ATF Attack On 2nd Amendment And Gun Rights
- NY 20th Congressional District Projection on Obama
- On Obama, taxes, deficit and freedom
- How Did Obama Get Voted In?
- 30,000 Gun Deaths per year!
- Creationism vs. Evolution
- Great response to a Gun Control article